Step 5: Perform Initial Configuration
You must perform the initial configuration for QFX5120 switch by using the console port.
- Verify that the switch is powered on.
- Connect the console port to a laptop or PC.
Set the following values by using the console server or PC:
- Connect the console port (labeled
CON) on the rear panel of the switch to a laptop or PC by using the RJ-45 to DB-9 serial port adapter. The console port is located on the management panel of the switch.
- Log in as the root user. You don’t need
to enter a password. If the software boots before you connect to the
console port, you might need to press the Enter key for the prompt
- Start the CLI.
- Enter configuration mode.
- Add a password to the root administration user account.
root@# set system root-authentication plain-text-password
New password: password
Retype new password: password
- (Optional) Configure the name of the switch. If the name
includes spaces, enclose the name in quotation marks (“ ”).
root@# set system host-name host-name
- Configure the default gateway.
root@# set routing-options static route default next-hop address
- Configure the IP address and prefix length for the switch
root@# set interfaces em0 unit 0 family inet address address/prefix-length
The management port em0 (labeled
MGMT) is located on the front panel of the QFX5120-32C switch. The management ports em0 (labeled
C0) and em1 (labeled
C1) are located on the rear panel of the QFX5120-48Y switch. The management port em0 (labeled
MGMT) is located on the rear panel of the QFX5120-48T switch.
- (Optional) Configure the static routes to remote prefixes
with access to the management port.
root@# set routing-options static route remote-prefix next-hop destination-ip retain no-readvertise
- Enable the Telnet service.
root@# set system services telnet
- Enable the SSH service.
root@# set system services SSH
- Commit the configuration to activate it on the switch.
Configure in-band management or out-of-band management:
In in-band management, you can configure a network interface or an uplink module (expansion module) interface as the management interface and connect it to the management device. In this scenario, you can do either of the following:
Use the automatically created VLAN named default for management of all data interfaces as members of the default VLAN. Specify the management IP address and the default gateway.
Create a new management VLAN. Specify the VLAN name, VLAN ID, management IP address, and default gateway. Select the ports that must be part of this VLAN.
In out-of-band management, you use a dedicated management channel (
MGMTport) to connect to the management device. Specify the IP address and gateway of the management interface. Use this IP address to connect to the switch.
- (Optional) Specify the SNMP read community, location, and contact to configure SNMP parameters.
- (Optional) Specify the system date and time. Select the time zone from the list. The configured parameters are displayed.
- Enter yes to commit the configuration. The configuration is committed as the active configuration for the switch.
You can now log in by using the CLI and continue configuring the switch.