Packing a JA2500 Junos Space Appliance or Component for Shipping
If you are returning a JA2500 Junos Space Appliance or component (field-replaceable unit [FRU]) to Juniper Networks for repair or replacement, pack the item as described in this topic.
Before you begin packing the appliance or component, do the following:
Obtain a Return Materials Authorization (RMA) number for the appliance or the component. For more information, see Contacting Customer Support to Obtain Return Materials Authorization for Junos Space Appliances.
Retrieve the original shipping carton and packing materials. Contact your JTAC representative if you do not have these materials, to learn about approved packing materials.
Ensure that you understand how to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. See Preventing Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
Packing a JA2500 Appliance for Shipping
If you need to transport the JA2500 appliance to another location or return the appliance to Juniper Networks, you need to pack the appliance securely in its original packaging to prevent damage during transportation.
Before you pack the JA2500 appliance, do the following:
- Power off the appliance. Refer to the Powering Off the Junos Space Appliance topic for details.
- Disconnect power from the appliance.
- Remove the cables that connect the appliance to all external devices.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available to pack the appliance:
Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2
ESD grounding strap
To pack the JA2500 appliance, do the following:
- If the appliance is installed in a rack, have one person support the weight of the appliance while another person unscrews and removes the mounting screws.
- Remove the appliance from the rack and place the appliance on a flat, stable surface.
- Use the screwdriver to remove the rack-mounting brackets from the appliance chassis.
- Place the appliance in an antistatic bag.
- Place the appliance inside the shipping carton.
- Place packaging foam or a cardboard tray on top of and around the appliance to ensure adequate padding.
- If you are returning accessories or field-replaceable units (FRUs) with the appliance, pack them as instructed in Packing Components of the JA2500 Appliance for Shipping.
- Close the top of the cardboard carton and seal it with packing tape.
- Write the RMA number on the exterior of the shipping carton to ensure proper tracking.
Packing Components of the JA2500 Appliance for Shipping
To pack the components (FRUs) of the JA2500 appliance, follow the instructions here.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
Antistatic bags, one for each component
ESD grounding strap
Do not stack the components of the JA2500 appliance. Return individual components in separate boxes if you cannot pack them side by side in the shipping box.
To pack the components of the JA2500 appliance, do the following:
Place individual components in antistatic bags.
Use the original packing materials if they are available. If the original packing materials are not available, ensure that the component is adequately packed to prevent damage during transit. The packing material that you use must be able to support the weight of the component.
Ensure that the components are adequately protected by wrapping them well with packing materials. Pack the component in an oversized box (if the original box is not available) with extra packing material around the unit so that the component is prevented from moving around inside the box.
Securely tape the box closed.
Write the RMA number on the exterior of the box to ensure proper tracking.