Step 3: Connect Power to the JA2500 Appliance
(Optional) Before you connect power to the Junos Space Appliance, attach an electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap to your bare wrist and connect the strap to an external ESD point.
Connecting AC Power to the JA2500 Appliance
Before you begin connecting AC power to a JA2500 Appliance:
Ensure that you have grounded the appliance.
Grounding for Junos Space Appliances is provided through the power supply ground. Ensure that you connect the AC power supply module in the appliance into a grounded AC power outlet by using an AC power cord (with the grounding pin) appropriate for your geographical location. (See the AC Power Cord Specifications for Junos Space Appliances in the JA2500 Junos Space Appliance Hardware Guide).
If you have installed an additional power supply module, then each power supply module must be connected to a dedicated power source outlet.
To connect AC power to the JA2500 Appliance, do the following:
- Ensure that the power supply module is fully inserted into the chassis.
- Squeeze the two sides of the power cord retainer clip and insert the L-shaped ends of the wire clip into the holes in the bracket on each side of the AC power cord inlet on the faceplate of the AC power supply module, as shown in Figure 6.
- Locate the power cord or cords shipped with the appliance;
the cords have plugs appropriate for your geographical location.
Ensure that the power cord does not block access to appliance components or drape where people can trip on it.
- Insert the coupler end of the power cord into the AC power cord inlet on the faceplate of the AC power supply.
- Push the cord into the slot in the adjustment nut of the power cord retainer. Turn the nut until it is tight against the base of the coupler and the slot in the nut is turned 90° from the top of the appliance, as shown inFigure 6.
- If the AC power source outlet has a power switch, set it to the OFF position.
- Insert the power cord plug into an AC power source outlet.
- If the AC power source outlet has a power switch, set it to the ON position.
The JA2500 Appliance powers on when you supply power to the power supply module. When the power supply module is correctly installed and functioning normally, the LED on the power supply module displays green when the power supply module is powering the appliance, and amber when the power supply module is in standby mode (not powering the appliance).
Connecting DC Power to the JA2500 Appliance
Before connecting the JA2500 Appliance to a DC power source, do the following:
Ensure that you have read the guidelines in the DC Power Electrical Safety Guidelines topic in the JA2500 Junos Space Appliance Hardware Guide.
Ensure that you have taken the necessary precautions to prevent ESD damage.
Ensure that you have grounded the appliance by connecting the DC power supply grounding cable to earth ground.
Before you connect power to the Junos Space Appliance, in order to meet the safety requirements and ensure proper operation, get a licensed electrician to attach a cable lug to the grounding and power cables that you supply. A cable with an incorrectly attached lug can damage the appliance (for example, by causing a short circuit).
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
DC power source cables (12-14 AWG) with ends of the wire stripped ~12mm and twisted
Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 1
You connect DC source power to the appliance by attaching power cables from external DC power sources to the terminal studs on the DC power supply module faceplates.
DC-powered Junos Space Appliances are intended for installation only in restricted access locations.
Before you perform the following procedure, ensure that power is removed from the DC circuit. To ensure that all power is off, locate the circuit breaker on the panel board that services the DC circuit, switch the circuit breaker to the OFF position, and tape the switch handle of the circuit breaker in the OFF position.
To connect the DC source power to the JA2500 appliance, do the following:
- Ensure that the power supply module is fully inserted in the chassis.
- Ensure that the input circuit breaker is open so that the voltage across the DC power source cable leads is 0 V and that the cable leads will not become active when you connect the DC power.
- Remove the clear plastic cover protecting the terminal on the faceplate.
- Remove the screws on the terminals by using the screwdriver. Save the screws.
- Connect the stripped and twisted wires to wire clamps under the DC terminal screws as shown in Figure 7.
- Use the terminal screws to secure the power source cables to the power feed on the appliance by attaching the twisted wires that are attached to the cables to the appropriate terminals.
- Remove the screw on the grounding terminal by using the
screwdriver. Save the screw.
The grounding terminal is located to the right and above the terminals, as shown in Figure 8.
- Connect the grounding lug to the earthing terminal using the screw, as shown in Figure 8.
- Attach the plastic safety cover.
- Close the input circuit breaker.
The JA2500 Appliance powers on when you supply power to the power supply module. If the power supply module is correctly installed and functioning normally, the LED on the power supply module displays green when the power supply module is powering the appliance, and amber when the power supply module is in standby mode (not powering the appliance).