Report an Error]
General Electrical Safety Guidelines
Certain ports on the switch are designed for use as
intrabuilding (within-the-building) interfaces only (Type 2 or Type
4 ports as described in GR-1089-CORE, Issue 4) and require
isolation from the exposed outside plant (OSP) cabling. To comply
with NEBS requirements and protect against lightning surges and commercial
power disturbances, the intrabuilding ports must not be metallically connected to interfaces that connect to the OSP
or its wiring. The intrabuilding ports on the switch are suitable
for connection to intrabuilding or unexposed wiring or cabling only.
The addition of primary protectors is not sufficient protection for
connecting these interfaces metallically to OSP wiring.
To comply with intrabuilding lightning and surge requirements,
intrabuilding wiring must be shielded, and the shield for the wiring
must be grounded at both ends.
Before removing or installing components of a switch,
attach an ESD strap to an ESD point and place the other end of the
strap around your bare wrist. Failure to use an ESD strap could result
in damage to the switch.
- Install the EX-series switch in compliance with the following
local, national, and international electrical codes:
- United States—National Fire Protection Association
(NFPA 70), United States National Electrical Code.
- Other countries—International Electromechanical
Commission (IEC) 60364, Part 1 through Part 7.
- Evaluated to the TN power system.
- Canada—Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1, CSA C22.1.
- Locate the emergency power-off switch for the room in
which you are working so that if an electrical accident occurs, you
can quickly turn off the power.
- Make sure that grounding surfaces are cleaned and brought
to a bright finish before grounding connections are made.
- Do not work alone if potentially hazardous conditions
exist anywhere in your workspace.
- Never assume that power is disconnected from a circuit.
Always check the circuit before starting to work.
- Carefully look for possible hazards in your work area,
such as moist floors, ungrounded power extension cords, and missing
- Operate the EX-series switch within marked electrical
ratings and product usage instructions.
- To ensure that the EX-series switch and peripheral equipment
function safely and correctly, use the cables and connectors specified
for the attached peripheral equipment, and make certain they are in
You can remove and replace many switch components without
powering off or disconnecting power to the switch, as detailed elsewhere
in the hardware documentation for this product. Never install equipment
if it appears damaged.
Report an Error]