Cabling the CTP Platform for DC Power
After you have correctly cabled the RTM for the CTP2000 Series, you must attach grounding and electrical wires before you turn the device on.
Three main tasks are involved:
- Push the power switch to OFF. (The switch might have accidentally flipped to ON during shipping and installation.)
- Connect the grounding wires to the chassis.
Always connect the grounding wires first (before connecting the power cables) and disconnect them last when installing or servicing the device.
- Connect the power cables to the power supplies.
Table 24 identifies the cabling requirements.
Table 24: CTP Power Supply Cables and Wires Needed
One 18-AWG ground wire
PDU ground terminal
Two 18-AWG wire leads
PDU Power A –48 VDC and RTN leads
Appropriate leads on power source No.1
Two 18-AWG wire leads
PDU Power B –48 VDC and RTN leads
Appropriate leads on power source No.2
Task 1: Turning Off All CTP Platform Power
Push all device power switches to OFF to turn off the device.
Task 2: Connecting the Grounding Cable to the CTP Platform (CTP2056 Platform Only)
The CTP2056 device has a grounding stud located in the rear of the chassis, near the power inputs.
To ground the power unit:
- Locate the grounding stud.
- Remove the nuts and locking washers from the grounding
We recommend a minimum of 18-AWG ground wire with a ring-style terminal.
- Place the grounding cable lead on the grounding stud, and tighten the nuts to secure the connection.
- Connect the other end of the ground cable to the appropriate
ground termination lead.
When grounding the device, leave a service loop in the grounding cable to ensure that the grounding cable is the last cable to disconnect from the shelf if strain is placed on the electrical cables.
Task 3: Connecting the Power Cables to the CTP2000 Platform
Before you begin this procedure, be sure the power source is turned off, the device is turned off, and proper grounding wires are attached.
To connect power cables to the device:
- Be sure you have completed Task 1: Turning Off All CTP Platform Power and Task 2: Connecting the Grounding Cable to the CTP Platform (CTP2056 Platform Only).
The wiring color code of the power cables depends on the color coding of the DC power source installed at your site. Color code standards for DC wiring do not exist. To ensure that the correct polarity is connected to the device power units, confirm the connection of the power cables to the + (positive) and – (negative) leads at the power source.
- Remove the nuts and locking washers from the posts for the power input (A or B) using a small insulated adjustable wrench.
- Place one negative (neutral) cable lead on the post labeled –48 VDC.
- Replace the locking washers and nuts, and tighten the nuts to secure the connection.
- Place the other cable lead on the post labeled RTN.
- Replace the locking washer and nut, and firmly tighten the nut to secure the connection.
- Attach the opposite end of Power A's wire leads to the
appropriate leads on your power source.
To provide redundancy, do not use the same power source for Power A and Power B leads.
- Repeat Steps 1–7 for each power supply module in your configuration.
For more information about CTP2000 Series cable and pinout specifications, refer Cable and Pinout Specifications.