Configuring PIM Sparse Mode (NSM Procedure)
To configure PIM sparse mode (PIM-SM) in a virtual router on a security device:
- Configure either a static route or a dynamic routing protocol, such as OSPF. (For information about configuring static routes, see Routing Table Entries Overview. For information about dynamic routing protocols, see Dynamic Routing Configuration Overview.)
- Create a security policy to pass unicast and multicast data traffic between zones. (For details on security policies, see the Network and Security Manager Administration Guide.
- Create and enable the PIM-SM routing instance in a virtual router.
- Select PIM-SM on interfaces that transmit multicast traffic.
- Configure a multicast rule to permit PIM-SM messages between zones. (For details on multicast rules, see the Network and Security Manager Administration Guide.
After you enable the PIM-SM routing instance in the virtual router and enable it on all applicable interfaces, you can optionally configure PIM-SM features such as the following:
Use access lists to restrict the rendezvous points (RPs) and sources from which a multicast group can receive traffic. You can also use access lists to restrict the multicast groups for which the virtual router forwards PIM join-prune messages. First, create the access lists, and then enter the access list IDs in the PIM-SM configuration screen of the virtual router. The security device then uses the access lists to filter the PIM-SM traffic.
Change the default parameters for each interface on which PIM-SM is enabled. When you set parameters at this level, the parameters affect the specific interface only.
Configure a static RP for a particular zone, or use dynamic RP mappings and configure a virtual router as a candidate rendezvous point (C-RP).
You can configure a virtual router to function as a proxy RP.
To configure PIM-SM:
- In the NSM navigation tree, select Device Manager > Devices. Double-click the device icon to open the device configuration.
- Configure the virtual router for PIM-SM:
In the device navigation tree, select Network > Virtual Router.
Double-click the virtual router in which you are configuring a PIM-SM instance. The General Properties screen appears.
In the virtual router navigation tree, select Dynamic Routing Protocol.
Select Configure PIM-SM. PIM-SM configuration options now appear in the virtual router navigation tree under Dynamic Routing Protocol.
In the virtual router navigation tree, select Dynamic Routing Protocol > PIM-SM > Parameters. The Parameters configuration screen appears.
Select Enable in the main display area,
Click OK to save your changes to the virtual router.
- Configure the interface for PIM-SM:
In the device navigation tree, select Network > Interface.
Double-click the interface that transmits multicast traffic. The General Properties screen appears.
In the interface navigation tree, select Protocol, and then select the PIM-SM tab in the main display area.
Select Configure PIM-SM on Interface.
Select Enable PIM-SM.
Click OK to save your changes to the interface. Repeat Step 3 to enable PIM-SM on additional interfaces.
- Click OK to save your changes to the device configuration.