The VMDK files needed for this type of NorthStar installation are not available on the NorthStar software download page. Please request the files from your account team or NorthStar Product Line Manager.
The following system requirements apply when preparing to run the NorthStar Controller on VMware ESXi by outputting a VMDK file of the master NorthStar disk from the VMware build master.
ESXi 5.5, 6.0, and 6.5 are supported.
With this type of deployment, you upload a VMDK file with a pre-installed setup of CentOS minimal, along with the NorthStar Controller application, and a second VMDK file that contains the official JunosVM image. When you create a new VM for the disk, you point to the supplied VMDK image.
The following steps describe the procedure:
The screen captures presented are examples only and might vary slightly from what you actually see due to a difference in ESXi version.
- Create a new virtual machine as shown in Figure 1.
- Select Custom as shown in Figure 2, and click Next.
- Name the new VM as shown in Figure 3, and click Next.
- Select a storage device as shown in Figure 4, and click Next.
- Select Virtual Machine Version: 8 as shown in Figure 5, and click Next .
- Select Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (64-bit) as shown in Figure 6, and click Next.
- Select the number of virtual CPUs you require as shown in Figure 7, and click Next.
- Select the VM memory size as shown in Figure 8, and click Next.
- Select the number of network interfaces required for your environment as shown in Figure 9, and click Next.
- Select VMware Paravirtual SCSI Controller as shown in Figure 10, and click Next.
- Select “Use an existing virtual disk” as shown in Figure 11, and click Next.
- Select the VMDK file you downloaded from Juniper Networks as shown in Figure 12, and click Next.
- Keep the Virtual Device Node as the default as shown in Figure 13, and click Next.
- Review the summary of your configuration as shown in Figure 14, and click Finish to complete the process.
- Power on the new VM and access the console window. Log in with root/northstar.
- When prompted, change the root password. This will be required only at first login.
- When prompted, enter new Database and RabbitMQ passwords (first login only).
- When prompted, enter a new UI Admin password (first login only).
- Obtain a NorthStar Controller license by following the instructions on the screen or by working with your account team.