Configuring Tunnel-Server Ports and Tunnel-Service Interfaces

You can configure tunnel-server ports and tunnel-server interfaces with the following tasks:

Note: Dedicated and shared tunnel-server ports on the ES2 10G ADV LM do not support QoS profiles on server-port interfaces and IP floating interfaces (IP interfaces that stack over MPLS stacked tunnels). However, you can configure QoS profiles for dedicated and shared tunnel-server ports on ES2 10G ADV LMs on interfaces other than server-port interfaces (such as ATM or Ethernet). On ES2 10G ADV LMs, you can also configure QoS profiles for dedicated and shared tunnel-server ports for L2TP LNS sessions only on interface types other than the server-port interface.

Identifying the Physical Location of the Tunnel-Server Port

To determine the physical location of the dedicated and shared tunnel-server ports on your module, issue the show tunnel-server config command.

host1#show tunnel-server config

Server Ports ------------ Provisioned Port Type MaximumInterfaces Interfaces HwPresent Bandwidth-Reserved -------- ------- ----------------- ----------- --------- ----------------- Port 2/2/0 shared 8000 0 yes N/A Port 8/0/0 dedicated 16000 8000 yes N/A Port 12/2/0 shared 8000 0 yes 90

Make a note of the port details from the Port column of the output for which you want to configure tunnel-service parameters.

Provisioning the Maximum Number of Interfaces on a Tunnel-Server Port

To provision the maximum number of interfaces on a tunnel-server port:

  1. From Global Configuration mode, specify the location of the dedicated tunnel-server port that you want to configure.

    On a dedicated tunnel-server port:

    host1(config)#tunnel-server 8/0/0 host1(config-tunnel-server)#

    On a shared tunnel-server port:

    host1(config)#tunnel-server 2/2/0 host1(config-tunnel-server)#

    The tunnel-server command accesses Tunnel Server Configuration mode, which enables you to provision the maximum number of tunnel-service interfaces to be used on the tunnel-server port. For ERX7xx models, ERX14xx models, and the ERX310 router, use the slot/port format. For the E120 and E320 Broadband Services Routers, use the slot/adapter/port format. On dedicated tunnel-server ports, use adapter 0 and port 0. On shared tunnel-server ports, use adapter 2 and port 0.

    Use the default version to restore the default configuration. On dedicated tunnel-server ports, the default configuration is the maximum number of tunnel-service interfaces that the service module supports. On shared tunnel-server ports, the default configuration is zero tunnel-service interfaces.

    Note: When you issue the tunnel-server command, ensure that you specify the same interface specifier that was displayed for this tunnel-server port in the show tunnel-server config command in the output described in Identifying the Physical Location of the Tunnel-Server Port. If you specify an incorrect location for the tunnel-server port, the router displays an error message and rejects the command as invalid.

  2. Provision the maximum number of tunnel-service interfaces to be used on the dedicated tunnel-server port.
    host1(config-tunnel-server)#max-interfaces all-available

    Use the no version to reduce the number of provisioned tunnel-service interfaces to zero. Issuing the no max-interfaces command has the same effect as issuing the max-interfaces 0 command.

Note: When you enable shared tunnel server on the ES2 10G ADV LM, it reloads with a warning message and then the image specific to shared tunnel server appears.

Reserving Bandwidth on Shared Tunnel-Server Ports

To reserve a certain percentage of the total bandwidth for forwarding on a shared tunnel-server port:

Note: When you direct the router to reserve a percentage of the total bandwidth for forwarding, you may not always obtain the exact percentage of bandwidth specified. Because of the overhead involved with identifying and assigning incoming traffic to the appropriate resources, you may obtain a value less than the configured value. For instance, if you reserve 50 percent of the total bandwidth for forwarding, you will not obtain an actual bandwidth of 5 Gbps for forwarding and 5 Gbps for tunnel processing.

Note: If you configure a shared tunnel-server port on an ES2 10G ADV LM and GRE tunnel interfaces are set up on this line module, traffic forwarding at a rate higher than the normal rate and mirroring of data is not affected even when the percentage of the total bandwidth reserved for traffic forwarding on the ES2 10G ADV LM is set as 90 percent. When the line module operates at full line rate performance, mirroring of traffic and performance of the system is not impacted.

  1. From Global Configuration mode, specify the location of the shared tunnel-server port that you want to configure.
    host1(config)#tunnel-server 2/2/0 host1(config-tunnel-server)#

    This command accesses Tunnel Server Configuration mode.

    Note: When you issue the tunnel-server command, ensure that you specify the same interface specifier that was displayed for this tunnel-server port in the show tunnel-server config command in the output described in Identifying the Physical Location of the Tunnel-Server Port. If you specify an incorrect location for the tunnel-server port, the router displays an error message and rejects the command as invalid.

  2. Reserve the percentage of bandwidth to be used for forwarding on the shared tunnel-server port.
    host1(config-tunnel-server)#reserve-bandwidth 80 host1(config-tunnel-server)#reserve-bandwidth 50

    Specify the value of 80 to reserve 80 percent of the total bandwidth for forwarding. The remaining 20 percent is used for tunnel processing. Specify the value of 50 to reserve 50 percent of the total bandwidth for forwarding. The remaining 50 percent is used for tunnel processing. You may not always obtain the exact percentage of bandwidth specified because of the overhead involved with identifying and assigning incoming traffic to the appropriate resources. You may actually obtain a value less than the configured value.

Use the no or default version to restore the default configuration. On shared tunnel-server ports, the default configuration reserves 90 percent of the total bandwidth for forwarding. The remaining 10 percent is used for tunnel processing.

Note: This command is supported only on the ES2 10G ADV LM when configured in shared server mode. It is not supported on other line modules that support tunnel configuration.

To verify that you properly provisioned the number of tunnel-server interfaces or reserved a percentage of the total bandwidth on the tunnel-server port, issue the show tunnel-server config command. For more information about using the show tunnel-server command, see Monitoring Tunnel-Service Interfaces.