Recovering the Root Password for SRX Series Devices
If you forget the root password for an SRX Series device, you can use the password recovery procedure to reset the root password. This procedure also involves disabling the watchdog functionality to allow the system to properly boot into single-user mode (KB article 17565).
You need console access to recover the root password
To recover the root password for an SRX Series device:
- Power on the device by pressing the power button on the
front panel. Verify that the POWER LED on the front panel
The device’s boot sequence on your management device appears on the terminal emulation screen.
- When the autoboot completes, press the Spacebar a few times to access the bootstrap loader prompt.
- In operational mode, disable the watchdog functionality
and enter boot -s to start up the system in single-user
mode. loader>boot -s
For SRX1500 Series device, the following prompt appears instead of loader prompt.
OK boot -s.
The SRX Series device will start up in single-user mode.
- Enter recovery to start the root password recovery
procedure.System watchdog timer disabled.Enter full pathname of shell or 'recovery' for root password recovery or RETURN for /bin/sh: recovery
- Enter configuration mode in the CLI.
- Set the root password. user@host# set system root-authentication plain-text-password
- Enter the new root password.New password: juniper1Retype new password:
- At the second prompt, reenter the new root password.
- If you are finished configuring the network, commit the
configuration.root@host# commitcommit complete
- Exit from configuration mode.
- Exit from operational mode.
- Enter y to reboot the device.Reboot the system? [y/n] y
The start up messages display on the screen.
- Once again, press the Spacebar a few times to access the bootstrap loader prompt.
- In operational mode, enable the watchdog functionality
and enter boot to start up the system. loader>watchdog enableloader>boot
- The SRX Series device starts up again and prompts you
to enter a user name and password. Enter the newly configured password:Wed Jul 12 14:20:21 UTC 2011Deviceabc (ttyu0)login: rootPassword: juniper1