Example: Configuring the VPLS Routing Instance
This example shows how to create a VPLS routing instance on each PE router that is participating in the VPLS.
Before you begin:
Before you begin, see Understanding Selective Stateless Packet-Based Services .
Configure the interfaces that will carry the VPLS traffic between the PE router and the CE devices. See Example: Configuring Routing Interfaces on the VPLS PE Router and Example: Configuring the Interface to the VPLS CE Device.
This example describes how to create a VPLS routing instance; configure VPLS site identifier, site range, no tunnel services option, route distinguisher, and route target for the VPLS routing instance; and specify the VPLS interface to the CE router.
You must specify no tunnel services in the VPLS routing instance configuration, because SRX Series devices do not support tunnel serial PICs.
CLI Quick Configuration
To quickly configure this example, copy the following commands, paste them into a text file, remove any line breaks, change any details necessary to match your network configuration, copy and paste the commands into the CLI at the  hierarchy level, and then enter commit from configuration mode.
The following example requires you to navigate various levels in the configuration hierarchy. For instructions on how to do that, see Using the CLI Editor in Configuration Mode.
To configure a VPLS routing instance:
- Configure the routing instance of type VPLS.user@host# edit routing-instances green
- Enable the VPLS instance type.[edit routing-instances green]user@host# set instance-type vpls
- Configure the VPLS site identifier and range for the VPLS
routing instance.[edit routing-instances green protocols vpls]user@host# set site-range 10 site R3 site-identifier 2
- Configure the no-tunnel-services option for the VPLS routing
instance.[edit routing-instances green protocols vpls]user@host# set no-tunnel-services
- Configure the route distinguisher.[edit routing-instances green]user@host# set route-distinguisher 10.255.7.1:1
- Configure the route target.[edit routing-instances green]user@host# set vrf-target target:11111:1
- Specify the VPLS interface to the CE router.[edit routing-instances green]user@host# set instance-type vpls interface ge-1/2/1.0
From configuration mode, confirm your configuration by entering the show routing-instances green command. If the output does not display the intended configuration, repeat the configuration instructions in this example to correct it.
If you are done configuring the device, enter commit from configuration mode.
Confirm that the configuration is working properly.
Verifying VPLS Routing Instance Is Configured
Verify that the VPLS routing instance is configured.
From operational mode, enter the show routing-instances command.
Verifying VPLS Routing Attributes Are Configured
Verify that attributes such as VPLS site identifier, site range, no tunnel services option, route distinguisher, and route target for the VPLS routing instance are configured.
From operational mode, enter the show routing-instances green protocols vpls command.