Applying a Service Template to a Service Definition
To deploy a service template, you must apply it to a service definition. Both templates and definitions are service type specific. If you have a point-to-point service template in the system, you can apply it to a definition of the corresponding service type: point-to-point. You cannot attach it to a multipoint-to-multipoint, or layer 3 VPN service definition. Service variables in a template must be compatible with the definition to which you attach the template. Each service type has its own set of variables, and if the template you want to attach contains any service variables not compatible with the service and definition type, the template will not appear in the definition’s list of available templates.
You can apply multiple templates to a single definition.
To apply a service template to a service definition:
- Create or import a service template. See Creating a Service Template or Importing a Service Template.
- In the Network Activate task pane, select Service Design > Manage Service Definitions.
- Click Create P2P Service Def..., or Create
VPLS Service Def..., or Create L3 VPN Service Def....
The General window appears.
- From the dropdown list for Service Template Definition,
select the desired template(s).
The list of templates available is filtered according to the type of service definition.
- For instructions on filling in the rest of the fields on this page and completing the definition, see Creating an E-Line Service Definition, Creating a Multipoint-to-Multipoint VPLS Service Definition, Creating a Point-to-Multipoint VPLS Service Definition, or Creating a Full Mesh Layer 3 VPN Service Definition.