Configuring SNMP Community Names by IP
This task enables you to configure SNMP community names by IP address. You also need to configure the community string used in SNMP data collection. The network monitoring functionality is shipped with the public community string. If you have set a different read community on your devices, this is where you must enter it.
In this procedure, you enter a specific IP address and community string, or a range of IP addresses and a community string, and other SNMP parameters. The network monitoring functionality optimizes this list, so enter the most generic addresses first (that is, the largest range) and the specific IP addresses last, because if a range is added that includes a specific IP address, the community name for the specific address is changed to be that of the range. For devices that have already been discovered and have an event stating that data collection has failed because the community name changed, you might need to update the SNMP information on the interface page for that device (by selecting the Update SNMP link) for these changes to take effect.
To configure SNMP using an IP address:
- Select Network Monitoring > Admin > Configure SNMP Community Names by IP, and enter in the First IP Address field either a single IP address, or the first address of a range.
- If you are not entering a range of IP addresses, leave the Last IP Address field blank, otherwise enter the last IP address of the range.
- In the Community String field, enter the community string you use for your devices. The default is public.
- (Optional) Enter a timeout in the Timeout field.
- Select the appropriate version from the Version list.
- (Optional) Enter the number of retries in the Retries field.
- (Optional) Enter the port number in the Port field.
- Click Submit. The system displays a message telling you whether network monitoring needs to be restarted for the configuration to take effect.