Setting Up the Topology View
Topology View enables you to view all the discovered devices in your network, overlaid on a map. You can create sites, buildings, floors, outdoor areas, closets, and racks by using the Location wizard in the Topology View. You can use the Topology View to zoom in or zoom out of a site or a building. You can also see the connectivity between a device and its immediate neighbors, alarms details, port details, and so on.
Before you start, ensure that:
The devices are discovered using the Device Discovery task. For detailed steps, see Discovering Devices in a Physical Network.
You have specified SNMP parameters during device discovery.
Ensure that you have enabled the LLDP, STP, or RSTP protocols on the devices as Network Director uses these protocols to determine the connectivity of devices with their neighbors in the network. LLDP and RSTP protocols are enabled by default on all EX Series and QFX Series devices.
Perform the following steps to set up your network in the Topology View:
- After you have discovered the devices using the Device Discovery task, open Location View or the Topology View. You can set up sites, buildings, floors, outdoor areas, closets, aisles, and racks using Location View. The Topology View allows you to create most of these components except racks and aisles. For detailed steps on building your location view, see Setting Up the Location View.
- Assign devices to the various entities in the Location View. Network Director enables you to assign devices to the various components of your network. Devices that can be Assigned to each Location Component describes the devices that you can assign to each of the location component.
- Save the location settings.
- Select Topology from the Network View Selector.
Network Director lays out the sites that you created in Location View, in the topology map. Network Director uses the location that you specified for each site and building to place them on the map. A site that does not have the location specified, will be placed in the default location—United States.
- Click Discovery > Refresh Discovery from the Tasks menu to refresh the topology of devices. Network Director refreshes the Topology View for all the devices that you have added to Topology View. After a successful discovery, you can select and view the connectivity of a particular device with their immediate neighbors using the tasks in the Connectivity section of the Tasks pane.
- Follow the steps outlined in Managing the Topology View to perform various tasks from Topology View.