Assigning Device Common Settings to Devices
Once a Device Common Settings profile is created or discovered (system-created profile), you must assign it to devices using the steps described in this topic. You can assign a Device profile to a either single device, a series of single devices, or a Custom Group of devices (see Creating Custom Device Groups ).
A device can have only one Device Common Settings profile assigned to it.
You must have one or more device profiles created or discovered before you can assign a device profile to a device. When you deploy an assigned device profile, the configuration is pushed onto the device.
This topic describes:
Assigning Device Common Settings
To assign device common settings to either a single device, a series of single devices, or members of a Custom Group:
- Click in the Network Director banner.
- Select Device Common Settings from the Profile
and Configuration Management menu in the Tasks pane.
The Manage Device Common Settings page is displayed. The page displays all the device profiles that you configured as well as the system-created profiles detected during device discovery.
- Select an undeployed profile from the list of profiles
and then click Assign.
The Assign Device Profile page for the selected device family appears with a wizard consisting of three parts, Device Selection, Profile Assignment, and Review. Device Selection is displayed.
- Expand the Device Selection object tree and select one
or more objects to receive the device profile. You must place a check
next to a device to select it—simply highlighting the device
does not select it.
If Network Director fails to read the configuration of one or more devices after device discovery, those devices are not displayed in the Device Selection list. You will not be able to assign profiles to those devices. The Manage Jobs page in System mode displays details of the device discovery jobs. Use the information displayed on this page to take appropriate corrective steps to enable Network Director to reread the configuration of the failed device. For more information, see Discovering Devices in a Physical Network.
- Click either Next or click Profile Assignment from the wizard workflow.
The Profile Assignment page opens, displaying your selections, including their Device (name), Type, Assigned To, and Attributes. The Assigned To column now has the entry DEVICE and the Attributes column has the entry Undefined.
- Click Define in the Attributes column
in the Assignments table to configure the attributes.
The Configure Attributes window opens, listing all the Layer 3 interfaces available on the device.
- Select the Layer 3 interfaces that are required for DHCP relay from the Available list and using the right arrow, move them to the Selected list. You can reorder the interfaces using the UP and DOWN arrows.
- Click Save to save the interface list and close the Configure Attributes window.
- You can view the assignment details for the selected device
and also remove any assignments:
To view the assignment details, select the device and click View Assignments.
The Profile Details page for selected device appears. Expand the Device name to view the details of the assignment. The assignment status displays the status whether the device is deployed or is pending device update, and so on.
To delete a device common setting assignment for a device, select the device from the Assignments table and click Remove.
- Click Next or click Review from the wizard workflow to review the assignments. On the Review page, click Edit to edit the profile assignment.
- Click Finish once you are done reviewing the
The Create Profile Assignments Job Details window appears with a status report for the profile assignment job—click OK to close this window. If you have assigned the profile to a large number of objects, the profile assignment job can take some time to complete. Instead of waiting for the Job Details dialog box to report job completion status, you can close it and check the details of the profile assignment job at a later time using the Manage Job task in System mode.
If any assignment fails, the profile assignment job fails and none of the assignments are created. Check the details for the profile assignment job for information about why the assignment failed.
An assigned Device profile has the Assignment State Pending Deployment in the Manage Device Common Settings list. Deploy any device profile in this state by following the directions Deploying Configuration to Devices.
To view the details of a profile, select the profile from the Manage Device Common Settings page and then click Details.
Editing the Assignments of the Device Common Setting
Use the Edit Assignments page to change device common setting assignments. To edit an existing assignment:
- Select a profile from the Manage Device Common Settings page and click Edit Assignment.
The Edit Assignments page for the selected device appears.
- Expand the Devices cabinet and make the desired change from the Operation column of the table.
- Click Define from the Attributes column of the table to modify the attributes.
The Configure attributes page is displayed listing all the Layer 3 interfaces available on the device.
Select the Layer 3 interfaces that are required for DHCP relay from the Available box and using the right arrow, move them to the Selected box.
You can rearrange the order of the interfaces using the Up and Down arrows.
Click Save after you are done with selecting the interfaces.
- Click Apply once you are done with the changes.
The Manage Device Common Settings page is displayed.