Creating Auto Assignments
Auto assignments help in automating Port profile assignments. Auto assignments automatically assign Port profiles that you have defined, to various switch ports based on the endpoints detected on the port on supported devices when Network Director detects the devices included in the auto-profile in the network. Auto assignments are supported for desktop ports, desktop phone ports, server ports, wireless access ports, and printer ports.
You can create auto assignment policies using the Create Auto Assignment wizard. The Create Auto Assignment wizard consists of three pages—Select Port Profile, Select Devices, and Summary.
To open the Create Auto Assignment wizard, click Create in the Manage Auto Assignment Policy page. Perform the following tasks to create an auto assignment:
Adding Port Profiles using the Select Port Profiles Page
To create an auto assignment policy and add Port profiles:
- Enter a name and a description for the auto assignment.
- Select the Enable Policy check box to enable the policy for the auto assignment.
- Select a device and specify a port range for this auto-assignment in the next wizard page.
- Select a device family. Auto assignment supports devices that belong to Switching (EX) or Campus Switching ELS.
- Click Select in the Port Profiles table to
add Port profiles for auto assignment. Network Director opens the
Select Profiles window and displays only those Port profiles that
are created for the device family that you selected. Select one or
more Port profiles that you want to add to the auto assignment and
If there are multiple profiles of the same service type for a device you can select only one of the profiles for auto assignment. This ensures that you can assign only one service type profile across all auto assignment policies. For example, if the Select Profiles window lists two Port profiles with Server as the service type, then you can select only one of these two profiles for auto assignment.
Network Director adds the selected Port profiles to the Port Profiles table. To remove a Port profile from the list, select a profile and click Remove.
- Click Next to add devices for auto assignment.
The Select Device page opens.
Adding Devices and Ports for Auto Assignment
To add devices and specify ports for auto assignment:
- Click Select Devices. The Select Devices window opens.
- Expand the list of objects and select the objects that
contain the devices you want to add by clicking the check box next
to them. If you select a container node, all devices under that node
The list of objects is filtered to include only devices that match the Port profile family type. If you do not see a device that you expected to see, verify that the device matches the profile’s family type. For example, a Port profile created for Switching (EX) family type cannot be assigned to an auto assignment policy that you are creating for Campus Switching ELS.
- Click OK to add the selected devices to the Select Device(s) table.
a device from the Select Device(s) table and click Configure
Range to specify the ports or port ranges to which you want
to auto assign the Port profiles.
The Configure Port Inclusion window opens.
Network Director deploys the Port profiles only if you specify a port range for the auto assignment policy and when the end points match.
- Select the starting and ending port numbers and click Add to add the port range to the Selected Port Range table. You can add multiple port ranges that do not overlap with each other, for each device across policies.
- When you have added all the required port ranges, click OK.
- Repeat steps 4 through 6 to add port ranges for all the devices that you have added to the Select Devices table.
- To remove a device from the Select Devices table, select the device and click Remove.
- Click Next to view a summary of the auto assignment policy.
Viewing the Auto Assignment Policy Summary
The Summary page displays the details of the auto assignment policy. You can review and make modifications to the auto assignment policy. To modify the configuration details, click the appropriate buttons in the Auto Assignment Policy workflow at the top of the page that corresponds to the configuration you want to change.
When you are finished with your modifications, click Summary to return to this page.
To complete the auto assignment policy creation, click Finish.
Network Director displays the policy that you created in the Manage Auto Assignment Policy page.
When any of the device ports that you specified in the auto assignment policy are connected to a Desktop, Desktop Phone, Server Port, Wireless Access Port, and Printer, Network Director automatically assigns Port profiles to these device ports. You can view the profile deployed for a port in the Policy Assignment Log window for each policy.