Edge Services Director has built-in reporting features to create standardized reports from your network data. You can schedule these reports either to run in real time or in batch to provide insight into the network for compliance, maintenance, or troubleshooting. To define a new report, you select from a number of preconfigured report types and set the scheduling and output options.
This topic describes:
How to Create a Report Definition
You create new reports from the Report Definition page while in the Report mode. To locate this page:
- Select Report in the Edge Services Director banner. The Report Tasks pane opens, displaying the tasks available in the Report mode.
- (Optional) Select the node on which to run the report in the View pane. Some reports are designed to run at a specific scope in the network tree. For example, you can select the SDG device inventory report to be geenrated for all devices in the network or for a particular SDG pair or group.
- Select Manage Report Definitions in the Tasks
Table 1 describes the information provided about report definitions on the Manage Report Definition page.
Table 1: Manage Report Definition Fields
The name of the report definition. Specify a name that indicates the purpose of the report.
The format or file extension of the report output; the final rendering of the output. Valid values are:
(Optional) Where the generated report is sent. Valid values are:
(Optional) When the report is scheduled to run.
Last Updated By
The user ID of the last person to modify the report definition.
Last Updated Time
Time when the report definition was last updated.
Click Run Now to run the report.
Creating a Report Definition
A report definition defines the properties that are used to generate one or more reports. It includes these properties:
Name of the report definition
To create a report definition:
- Click Add on the Manage Report Definition main page to open the Create Report Definition wizard Basic Settings page.
- Type a name for the report in the Report Definition Name field. After the report runs, you can find a report by this name in the Generated Reports list. Names can contain letters, numbers, spaces, dashes (-), and underscores (_).
- Select the report types for the report definition in the
Select Report Type area:
To add one or more report types:
- Click Add. The Assign Report Types window opens.
- Select one or more report types from the list in the Assign
Report Types window.
The following report types are displayed:
Alarm History—This report provides a detailed list of all the alarms generated within the specified time period. The alarms are sorted by severity, and then by time. This report is beneficial for you to identify any unusual or discrepant network activity.
Device Inventory—This report provides the device inventory information, connection states, and managed states of devices for the selected scope, such as the entire network, a gateway pair or an individual gateway.
Service Inventory—This report provides the service inventory information for the selected scope, such as the entire network, a gateway pair or an individual gateway.
- Click Add.
The report types you added appear in the Select Report Type list. Table 2 describes the information about report types that is available in the Select Report Type table.
When adding multiple reports types, be sure all of the reports you select are supported for the node type selected in the view pane.
To delete one or more report types, select their check boxes in the Select Report Type list, then click Delete.
- (Optional) Edit the report type options for the added report types by clicking Edit Report Options in the Customize Report Options column. Configure report type options in the Filter Options window, then click OK. Table 3 describes the available report type options.
- Click Next or Report Options to set up the report options. You can also click Cancel to exit the wizard. For details on report options, see Setting Report Options.
Table 2: Select Report Type Table Columns
The Report name.
The general classification of the report.
Shows the scopes that are applicable for the report type. (Appears only in the Assign Report Types window that opens when you click the Add button.)
A description of the use or purpose of the report.
Lists the applied report type options.
Customize Report Options
Click the link to change the report type options for that report type.
Table 3: Report Type Options for Data Filtration
Limits the report to devices in this state. You can select ALL, UP, or DOWN.
Limits the report to devices in the specified managed status.
Managed status indicates whether the device’s configuration is in sync with Edge Services Director’s version. You can select one of the following options:
Limits the report to this type of service, such as ADC, TLB, CGNAT, or SFW.
Limits the report to the indicated time period. You can select the time period for which data needs to be collected and displayed in the report as 1 hour, 6 hours, 12 hours, or 1 day.
If you select Custom, the From and To fields become available, enabling you to set a specific reporting period.
Selecting Report Types and Report Options
You must select at least one Report Type from the list of reports to create a report definition.
- Select the type of report from the Select Report Type table. You can either select individual reports or select the box next to the Report Type in the table heading to select all of the available reports. The columns of the table are defined in Table 2.
- (Optional) Click the Edit link in the table row to change the report options for filtering data for the report. See Table 3 for details on the different report filters.
- Click Next or Report Options to continue with the report definition.
Setting Report Options
This page establishes the report schedule and the output format of the report.
- Choose from the following scheduling options:
Run the report now
Select or create a schedule for the report
Select to both run the report now and to run the report by a schedule
Options for report scheduling are shown in Table 4.
Table 4: Schedule Options for Reports
Select this option to immediately run the report one time.
Select this option to either create a schedule so that it is run at regular intervals, or to select an already established schedule.
The Add Schedule link enables you to create a new schedule.
The Select button opens Choose Schedule window that displays the currently configured schedules. Select the check box to choose a schedule to use for the report. To associate the schedule to your report, click OK.
- Establish the report output format and destination.
A report is available in these formats:
PDF–Choose this format If you want to print the report. Portable Definition Format (PDF) enables the report to be printed from any operating system with the same formatting results.
CSV–Choose this format if you want to export the report data to a spreadsheet or other business application. The Comma-Separated Values (CSV) format takes the raw data from the report and delineates the fields with commas so that it imports into popular spreadsheet programs.
HTML–Choose this format if you want to view the report in a browser.
Note: Because reports can be quite large, they are initially delivered as a zipped (compressed) file.
- Click Next or Summary to review the report definition.
Reviewing the Report Definition
The Report wizard guides you to the Summary Page where you can review your report configuration and make any changes before you run the report.
- Review your Report Name and Report Type in basic settings. If you want to change either of these settings, click Edit to return to the Basic Settings page.
- Review your Report Options. If you want to change these settings, click Edit to return to the Report Options page.
- Click Finish when you are done with the report configuration and to exit the wizard.
Changing a Report Definition
You can change an existing report definition file from the Manage Report Definition page.
To change a report definition:
- Select the check box for the report definition.
- Click Edit to reopen the report definition in the Report wizard. The system returns you to the Summary page, where you can make changes to the report definition.
- Click Details to review the details of the report definition or click Delete to remove the report definition. To remove all of the report definitions, select the check box in the header next to Report Definition to select all of the report definitions and click Delete.