Configuring Threshold-Crossing Alarms for Optical IPLCs for Monitoring Link Performance
Threshold crossing alarms (TCAs) can give the management system an early indication as to the state of the associated entity when it crosses a certain threshold. TCAs can be set for both minimum and maximum values for gauges and maximum values for counters. Gauges and counters are the types of metrics for which TCAs are configured. A gauge represents a non-negative integer, which may increase or decrease, but never exceeds a maximum value. A gauge value has its maximum value whenever the information being modeled is greater than or equal to that maximum value. If the TCA parameter subsequently decreases below the maximum value, the gauge value also decreases. A counter represents a non-negative integer that monotonically increases until it reaches a maximum value of 2^32 (2 raised to the power of 32)-1.
The timely detection of TCAs is essential to proactively manage an interface. TCAs are not an indication of a fault, but rather an indication that the entity maybe close to a fault. You can enable the TCA that you want monitor. You can either keep the default threshold settings or change the settings.
You can enable threshold-crossing alarms (TCAs) on the IPLC for the following:
Erbium-doped fiber amplifier (EDFA)
Optical Channel Monitor (OCM)
Optical Service Channel (OSC)
Variable Optical Attenuator (VOA)
To configure the TCAs for optical IPLCs:
- From the Junos Space user interface, click the Build icon on the Connectivity Services Director banner.
The workspaces that are applicable to Build mode are displayed on the Tasks pane.
- From the View selector, select Device View.
The functionalities that you can configure in this view are displayed.
- From the Device View pane, click the plus sign (+) next
to the My Network tree to expand the tree and select the PTX300 router
for which you want to define the optical IPLC settings.
The network tree is expanded and the selected device is highlighted.
- From the Tasks pane, select Device Management > View
An image of the device is displayed on the right pane.
- In the image of the device, select an optical IPLC—for
example, an optical IPLC installed in a PTX3000 router.
The Component Info dialog box is displayed. The Equipment, Status/Config, Performance, and Line Connectivity tabs are displayed at the bottom of the dialog box.
- Click the Performance tab at the bottom of
The IPLC Optics PMs dialog box is displayed with the performance monitoring counters and metrics that pertain to the IPLC. This dialog box contains the Perf Mon and TCA Config tabs. Apart from the IPLC Optics PMs pane, which is expanded and displayed, the IPLC LineOut PMs and IPLC EDPA PMs panes are displayed in a collapsed form.
- Click the TCA Config tab to configure the TCAs
for the different optical IPLC attributes. The dialog box is refreshed
to display the different performance monitoring parameters. These
parameters can be edited in an inline form.
Inline editing enables you to modify previously defined settings easily and quickly. Embedded editing is enabled, which causes the grids showing the devices and interfaces to become modifiable directly; you do not need to highlight, edit, and save the changes every time.
A gray triangle in the upper-right corner of a field denotes that the value of that field or attribute has been modified.
- For the parameters under each performance monitoring category for which you want to modify the TCA value, click the value in the Threshold-15Min or Threshold-24Hr columns to set the TCA value for the 15-minute interval or 24-hour interval. You can also select or clear the check box in the Enable column to enable or disable the TCA value for the specified parameter, respectively.
- Click Update to save the configured threshold settings. Alternatively, click Cancel to discard the configuration.
- Similarly, you can configure the TCA values for the IPLC line-out and EDFA modules. To configure the TCA settings for the IPLC line-out and EDFA modules, click the IPLC LineOut PMs and IPLC EDFA PMs headers at the bottom of the IPLC Optics PMs dialog box. The IPLC LineOut PMs and IPLC EDFA PMs panes are expanded and displayed. Thess panes contain the Performance tab selected..
- From the IPLC LineOut PMs and IPLC EDFA PMs panes, Click the TCA Config tab to configure the TCAs for the different optical IPLC attributes. The dialog box is refreshed to display the different performance monitoring parameters in editable form.
- Edit the TCA values as necessary for the IPLC line-out and EDFA modules.