Installing Software on a MX204 or EX9251 devices with Single Routing Engine
You can use this procedure to upgrade Junos OS on device with a single Routing Engine.
To install software upgrades on a device with a single Routing Engine:
- Download the software package as described in Downloading Software Packages from Juniper Networks.
- If you have not already done so, connect to the console port on the device from your management device, and log in to the Junos OS CLI.
- (Optional) Back up the current software configuration to a second storage option. See the Junos OS Installation and Upgrade Guide for instructions on performing this task.
- (Optional) Copy the software package to the device. We
recommend that you use FTP to copy the file to the
This step is optional because Junos OS can also be upgraded when the software image is stored at a remote location. These instructions describe the software upgrade process for both scenarios.
- Install the new package on the MX device:user@host> request vmhost software add <package>
packagewith one of the following paths:
For a software package in a local directory on the device, use
For a software package on a remote server, use one of the following paths, replacing package with the software package name—for example, junos-vmhost-install-mx-x86-64-19.2R1.tgz.
- Reboot the device to load the installation:user@host> request vmhost reboot
The set system fips chassis level 1 command should to be added in FIPS mode for the line card to come up.
- After the reboot has completed, log in and use the show version command to verify that the new version of the
software is successfully installed. If you installed the Junos FIPS
mode package, verify that the FIPS mode utilities are present—as
shown in the following example:
user@host> show version Model: mx204 Junos: 19.2R1 JUNOS Base OS boot [19.2R1] JUNOS Base OS Software Suite [19.2R1] JUNOS Crypto Software Suite [19.2R1] JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine Support (TRIO) [19.2R1] JUNOS Web Management [19.2R1] JUNOS Online Documentation [19.2R1] JUNOS SDN Software Suite [19.2R1] JUNOS Services Application Level Gateways [19.2R1] JUNOS Services COS [19.2R1] JUNOS Services Jflow Container package [19.2R1] JUNOS Services Stateful Firewall [19.2R1] JUNOS Services NAT [19.2R1] JUNOS Services RPM [19.2R1] JUNOS Services Captive Portal and Content Delivery Container package [19.2R1] JUNOS Macsec Software Suite [19.2R1] JUNOS Services Crypto [19.2R1] JUNOS Services IPSec [19.2R1] JUNOS DP Crypto Software Software Suite [19.2R1] JUNOS py-base-powerpc [19.2R1] JUNOS py-extensions-powerpc [19.2R1] JUNOS jsd [powerpc-19.2R1-jet-1] JUNOS Kernel Software Suite [19.2R1] JUNOS Routing Software Suite [19.2R1] JUNOS FIPS mode utilities [19.2R1] JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine FIPS Support [19.2R1] JUNOS FIPS op test utilities [19.2R1]