Installing Software on a Device
You can use this procedure to upgrade Junos OS on device with a single Routing Engine.
To install software upgrades on a device with a single Routing Engine:
- Download the software package as described in Downloading Software Packages from Juniper Networks.
- If you have not already done so, connect to the console port on the device from your management device, and log in to the Junos OS CLI.
- (Optional) Back up the current software configuration to a second storage option. See the Junos OS Installation and Upgrade Guide for instructions on performing this task.
- (Optional) Copy the software package to the device.
This step is optional because Junos OS can also be upgraded when the software image is stored at a remote location. These instructions describe the software upgrade process for both scenarios.
- Install the new Junos OS image on the device:user@device> request system software add <package> dualroot
packagewith one of the following paths:
Trusted update with delayed activation is not supported by TOE.
For a software package in a local directory on the device, use
For a software package on a remote server, use one of the following paths, replacing package with the software package name—for example, jinstall-ppc-19.1R2.8-signed.tgz.
- Reboot the device to load the installation:user@device> request system reboot
- Once the router comes up with 19.1R2 build, copy and install fips-mode and jpfe-fips packages using request
system software add fips-mode-powerpc-19.1R2.8-signed.tgz and request system software add jpfe-fips-powerpc-19.1R2.8-signed.tgz commands. Verify that the packages are successfully installed using show version command.
user@device:> show version Hostname: hostname Model: mx104 Junos: 19.1R2.8 JUNOS Base OS boot [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Base OS Software Suite [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Crypto Software Suite [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine Support (TRIO) [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Web Management [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Online Documentation [19.1R2.8] JUNOS SDN Software Suite [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Services Application Level Gateways [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Services COS [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Services Jflow Container package [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Services Stateful Firewall [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Services NAT [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Services RPM [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Services Captive Portal and Content Delivery Container package [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Macsec Software Suite [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Services Crypto [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Services IPSec [19.1R2.8] JUNOS DP Crypto Software Software Suite [19.1R2.8] JUNOS py-base-powerpc [19.1R2.8] JUNOS py-extensions-powerpc [19.1R2.8] JUNOS jsd [powerpc-19.1R2.8-jet-1] JUNOS Kernel Software Suite [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Routing Software Suite [19.1R2.8] JUNOS FIPS mode utilities [19.1R2.8] JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine FIPS Support [19.1R2.8]