Configuration Templates Workflow
Read the Configuration Templates Overview topic to gain a basic understanding of configuration templates.
In Administration Portal, users with the SP (Service Provider) Administrator role (CSO on-premises only) or OpCo (Operating Company) Administrator role can perform the configuration template workflow tasks indicated in this topic.
The high-level workflow for configuration templates is as follows:
- You can use a pre-existing template (skip to step 2) or create a new template
using one of the following methods:
Import a configuration template by specifying the template configuration file (Jinja syntax), Yang model file, and the Viewdef file. For more information, see Import Configuration Templates.
Clone an existing configuration template and modify the cloned template. For more information, see Edit, Clone, and Delete Configuration Templates.
Add a configuration template by specifying the template configuration and logic. For more information, see Add Configuration Templates.
- (Optional) Although this is an optional step, we recommend that you validate the configuration template by using the preview workflow before attaching the configuration template to a device template or deploying the configuration template directly on a device. For more information, see Preview and Render Configuration Templates.
- You can assign a configuration template to a device template from the Configuration Templates or the Device Templates pages. This enables you to deploy additional configuration on the device during zero touch provisioning (ZTP) and after the device is activated. For more information, see Assign Configuration Templates to Device Templates and Updating Stage-2 Configuration Template in a Device Template.
- You can deploy a configuration template directly on one or more devices that were previously activated, which enables you to deploy templates that were added after a device was activated or to deploy additional configuration to devices. You can deploy configuration templates to devices from the Configuration Templates or Tenant Devices pages. For more information, see Deploy Configuration Templates to Devices.
- (Optional) Dissociate or undeploy configuration templates:
You can dissociate a configuration template from a device, which remove the references to the configuration template from the device, but retains the configuration already deployed on the device. For more information, see Dissociate a Configuration Template from a Device.
You can undeploy the configuration template, which deletes the configuration previously deployed on the device, but retains the references to the configuration template. For more information, see Undeploy a Configuration Template from a Device.