Perform Return Material Authorization (RMA) for a Provider Hub Device
Sometimes, due to hardware failure, a device managed by Contrail Service Orchestration (CSO) needs to be returned to the vendor for repair or replacement. In such situations, as a Service Provider (SP) Administrator or Operating Company (OpCo) Administrator with the RMA privilege, you can perform Return Material Authorization (RMA) for the faulty device.
The RMA process includes actions to:
Back up the configuration of the faulty device.
Recall the faulty device and replace it with a new or restored device.
Push the required configuration to the new or restored device.
Activate the new or restored device in order for CSO to recognize and manage the device.
When you request RMA for a provider hub device associated with a site that has a version earlier than the CSO version, the site version is not upgraded to the CSO version as part of the device activation and zero touch provisioning (ZTP) process of the replacement device that is performed after RMA.
To perform RMA for a faulty provider hub device:
- Select Resources > Provider Hub Devices.
The Provider Hub Devices page appears.
- Select the faulty device and click More > Initiate RMA.
A confirmation page appears requesting for confirmation to initiate the RMA process for the device.
The Initiate RMA option is enabled only for a device with the management status PROVISIONED.
- Click Yes to confirm RMA for the device.
You are returned to the Provider Hub Devices page where a confirmation message appears, indicating that the RMA process is initiated.
- After the management status of the device changes to RMA, raise a device replacement request. This process is performed outside of CSO.
- After you receive the new device, click More > Grant RMA.
The Grant RMA for Device page appears. Provide details of the new device on this page. See Grant Return Material Authorization (RMA) for a Provider Hub Device for details.
The Grant RMA option is enabled only for a device with the management status RMA.
- To complete the RMA process and start using the new device,
the device must be activated.
If you enabled the Auto-activate toggle button on the Grant RMA for Device page, the device is activated automatically and its Management Status changes to PROVISIONED.
If you disabled the Auto-activate toggle button on the Grant RMA for Device page, you must manually activate the new device after the grant RMA job completes successfully.
To manually activate the new device:
- On the Provider Hub Devices page, select the new device
and click Activate Device.
The Activate Device page appears.
- Enter the activation code for the device and click Next.
The progress of device activation is displayed.
After the device is activated, its Management Status changes to PROVISIONED.
- On the Provider Hub Devices page, select the new device and click Activate Device.
The RMA process is now complete. You can start using the new device.