Creating a Cloud VIM
You, as an SP administrator, can use the VIMs page to create virtualized infrastructure managers (VIMs) for each POP in the network. You create one VIM object for each POP in your network. Although the Contrail Cloud Reference Architecture (CCRA) provides a VIM, when you create a VIM you can specify several Contrail OpenStack settings. See Table 1.
You can only create a VIM for a centralized deployment. A distributed deployment has a default VIM that is created when the deployment is installed.
There are two authentication methods, namely, CSO Keystone (Central Keystone) authentication and independent VIM Instances’s keystone (also known as regional keystone) authentication. Customers can authenticate and authorize their own system through OpenStack. Customers have to configure service profiles as a part of VIM and associate it with a tenant.
For example, consider ABC as a service provider and customer-a as the tenant for ABC. The workflow for associating the service profile with the tenant is listed below:
- The cspadmin configures the POP (vim-instance and domain creations) along with vim-service-profiles when configuring the vim-instance. The vim-service-profiles contains the respective VIM’s infra tenant details.
- Configure ABC data center as a VIM.
- ABC admin configures customer-a along with service-profile-name. This enables VIM microservice to map customer-a to equivalent infra tenant as specified in service-profile-name.
- ABC admin, ABC tenant details, customer-a tenant, and customer-a account details are present in CSO Keystone (Central Keystone), while infra tenant details that are available as part of vim-service-profile is present only in regional keystone.
- When creating a service, customer-a instantiates a network service. The customer-a’s request is received at NSO with customer-a’s authentication token from the regional VIM keystone.
- Based on tenant-name customer-a, the VIM region maps to “admin” infra tenant, because when configuring “customer-a ” tenant, the service-profile-name with admin was provided.
- VIM regional microservice can now use the infra tenant for its service instantiation activities.
To create a VIM in the cloud:
- Click Resources > POPs > POP Name > VIMs.
- Click the plus icon (+).
The Add Cloud VIM page appears.
- Configure the fields using the information provided in Table 1.
- Click Save. If you want to discard your changes, click Cancel instead.
Table 1: Fields on the Add Cloud VIM Page
Specify the name of the virtualized infrastructure manager (VIM) for a centralized deployment. You can add multiple VIMs to a point of presence (POP). You can use letters, numbers, spaces, periods, dashes, underscores, commas, @, #, $, %, &, and *. Maximum length is 255 characters.
View the VIM type. The default VIM type is cloud.
Specify the IP address of the Contrail Controller node in the Contrail Cloud Platform that provides the virtualized infrastructure manager (VIM).
Specify the authentication URL for the Contrail OpenStack Keystone.
Specify the username for logging into Contrail Service Orchestration. The default is cspadmin.
Specify the password for logging into Contrail Service Orchestration. The default is passw0rd.
Specify the name of the Contrail OpenStack domain that you configured for the Contrail Cloud Platform.
Specify the name of the Contrail OpenStack tenant that you configured for the Contrail Cloud Platform.
Specify a resource pool name and the corresponding compute zone, which is a group of compute nodes. You configure compute zones as availability zones in Contrail OpenStack. The default availability zone is Nova, and you can run the nova availability-zone-list command on the Contrail controller node to view a list of available zones.
Resource Pool Name
Specify a resource pool, which identifies the location in which the virtual network functions (VNFs) are implemented. You can use an unlimited number of alphanumeric characters, including special characters.
Specify the availability zone in Contrail OpenStack in which the virtual machines for network services reside. The default availability zone is nova.
You can run the nova availability-zone-list command on the Contrail OpenStack to find the list of available zones.
Does Management Network Exists?
Specify whether to use an existing virtual network in Contrail OpenStack or to create a new one.
Management Network Name
Specify the name of the existing network in Contrail or of the new network that you want to create in Contrail.
Management Network Information
Specify one or more route targets for the management network to be created in Contrail
Specify one or more prefixes that define the subnets for the Contrail Compute nodes. You can use an IPv4 address.
Internet Network Information
Specify the name of the Internet network.
Select to add a new Internet connection for the VIM in Contrail OpenStack.
Select the route target for the internet network in Contrail.
Select the prefix that defines the subnet for the Contrail Compute nodes.
You can use an IPv4 address.
Service Profile Information
Specify the name of the service profile in a VIM instance.
Specify the infra tenant for whom you want to assign the service profile.
Specify the Infra domain name.
Specify the username of the tenant.
Specify the password for the tenant user.
Default Service Profile
If you use a dedicated OpenStack Keystone for Contrail Service Orchestration, specify the name of the default service profile. If you do not specify a service profile when you configure the tenant, Contrail Service Orchestration uses the default profile to authenticate the tenant.
Infra Tenants such as admin is available only in Regional Keystone and not in CSO Keystone (Central Keystone).